War wohl wieder alles ganz toll, hier die PM von Cartoon Movie über Cartoon Movie:
Cartoon Movie, the European pitching event for animation films, took place in Lyon last week with more than 750 participants (+5% compared to 2015) from 40 different countries, 241 buyers including 120 distributors and sales agents. Organised by CARTOON, the 18th edition of this professional forum was the ideal platform to know the current state of European animation as well as to boost 56 new projects marked by a wide variety of genres and production quality. Thanks to their originality, the projects in concept always attract great interest.
BUZZ FILMS AND TRENDS
During these two days, the pitching sessions got a full house.
The 22 projects presented as project in concept always create a lot of enthusiasm gathering up to 300 participants at each session such as „Canaan“ (Tondo Films) by Jan Bultheel who brightly uses motion capture like in his film „Cafard“, „A childhood of Martha Jane Canary“ (Maybe Movies) by Rémi Chayé which refers to the historical character of Calamity Jane, „The Siren“ (Les Films d’Ici); „A Skeleton Story“ (MAD Entertainment) by Alessandro Rak (director of „The Art of Happiness“, Best European Animated Feature Film at EFA 2014); „Ada & Alex“ (Copenhagen Bombay), the newest project of Esben Toft Jacobsen (director of „The Great Bear“, „Beyond Beyond“); …
For projects in development and in production, the titles which attracted the most buyers to the pitching sessions were:
- „Tulip„, the latest project by Folimage (France) and Lunanime (Belgium), directed by Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli, both directors of „A Cat in Paris“ released in 2010 and nominated for an Oscar in 2012 and „Phantom Boy“ released in October 2015
- „Moustique, Cigale & Cambriole“ by Cédric Babouche, produced by Dandelooo (France)
- „The Journey of the Elephant Soliman“ by Sandor Jesse, produced by Film-und Fernseh-Labor Ludwigsburg (Germany) and Studio88 Werbe-und Trickfilm
- „The Boy in the Bubble“ by Kealan O’Rourke. Prod: Igloo Films (Ireland)
- „Louise in the Winter„, upcoming film by Jean-François Laguionie produced by JPL Films (France) and Unité Centrale (Canada)
- „Tistou of the Green Thumbs“ produced by Finalement (France) and Walking the Dog (Belgium). Adapted from the artwork of Maurice Druon, it is written by Amandine Taffin, author of the feature film „Le Jour des Corneilles“ and Bruno Podalydès and will be directed by David Berthier.
- „Even Mice Belong in Heaven“ by Jan Bubeniček and Denisa Grimmová. Prod: Fresh Films (Czech Republic) and Les Films du Cygne (France)
- „Next Door Spy“ by Karla von Bengtson. Prod: Copenhagen Bombay (Denmark)
- „Loving Vincent“ which brings the paintings of Vincent Van Gogh to life, directed by Dorota Kobiela and Hugh Welchman; and produced by Oscar winning film companies Breakthru Films (Poland) and Trademark Films (United Kingdom) for „Peter & the Wolf“ in 2008 (nominee for the Cartoon d’Or 2007). In production, „Loving Vincent“ is already pre-sold in more than 10 territories.
- „Second Generation„, an adaptation of the novel of the famous Israeli author Michel Kichka directed by Xavier Picard & Vera Belmont. Prod: STEPHAN FILMS & PMMP (France)
- „Heart of Darkness„, a fiction inspired on Joseph Conrad’s novels representing Rio de Janeiro in the near future by Films d’Ici (France)
Participants also noticed the presence of several new SVOD platforms such as Sofa Digital (Brazil), Cinema Uno (Mexico), Under The Milky Way (Spain), … as well as the participation of three Korean distributors.
New this year: one Canadian project has been presented at Cartoon Movie in order to expand the collaboration established at Cartoon Connection Canada. „Amoeba“ (House of Cool) has been selected by several European broadcasters present in October 2015: CBBC-BBC Children’s UK, France Télévisions, Walt Disney UK, YLE Finland, Channel 5 – milkshake! UK and Canal+ France.